Some people believe that having a good laugh and a joke in the office is unprofessional and can distract co-workers from doing their job.
However here are seven fascinating facts about how humour defines and enhances modern business:
1. Humour is more important than pay!
- Yes hard to believe that some people say this – in fact surveys with over 2,500 people in a company found that 55% of workers would take less pay to have more fun at work!
2. Joking around does not distract people from work.
- If you are worried that office humour will lead to distraction, you have no need to worry anymore! Studies show that increased humour in the work place does not make people stop working, nor does it effect their concentration.
3. Humourous advertisements are more effective.
- When it comes to marketing everyone remembers the more comedic advertisements than the normal boring ones. It has been shown that humourous adverts have had nearly 25% greater impact!
4. Laughter lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
- Laughter has an effect on the carddiovascular system. Laughter can low your heart rate, reduce your blood pressure and improve the function of your blood vessels. So when you hear the expression ‘Laughter is the best medicine,’ it actually is.
5. People who use humour are known to be better leaders.
- Leaders who use humour as part of their management style are not only proven to produce greater work performance, satisfaction and cohesion amongst workers, they are actually perceived as better leaders and managers. Come on, who really wants a boring boss?
6. Humour boosts creative thinking.
- Humour provides a more colourful environment, a playful office also helps encourage openness and gets rid of the fear of criticism towards outlandish or creative ideas.
7. Fun environments reduce burnout and turnover.
- Of course, humour in the work has proven to enhance a workers coping mechanism and reduce worker withdrawal and burnout.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter